Thursday, February 17, 2011

Poop on a Stick Anyone?



This is an old story that happened a few years back, Natalie was about 4 years old. Most of you have probably heard it before, but it is funny, and I felt it should be documented,even if it does make me out to be a mean, gross momma.

It had been an overly chaotic morning and I was still recovering from my hysterectomy. The kids had all needed to be pulled whining from their beds. They had fought me on wearing the clothes that had been laid out for them the night before, what I had made for breakfast, and anything else they could think of to dispute with me and one another. To top it off Hayden wasn't ready when the carpool arrived, so I had to drive him. I wasn't really supposed to be driving yet due to my recent operation, but I had no choice. As I drove down the rode with kids arguing with each other I decided that I NEEDED a Diet Coke, right then and there or I was never going to make it through the rest of the day. So I headed towards The District. I knew I only had a couple dollars with me, enough for one Diet Coke, MY Diet Coke. I also knew that as soon as my kids saw where we were they would start asking for things. So I warned them that I would be going to Chick-fil-a and that the only thing we were getting was a drink for myself, and I explained that they had already eaten and that they don't even serve french fries this early in the morning. Natalie asks, "what do they have?" Me, being in a bad mood not wanting to deal with anymore questions replies in a teasing tone "they only have poop on a stick this morning." She quiets down. I pull up to the menu board to order my life line. After I say into the speaker 'one Diet Coke please', Natalie in a monotone little voice says "I guess I will have the poop on a stick" followed by a heavy sigh. She truly believed me when I had said that was all they were serving and she was willing to settle for poop on a stick, just so she wouldn't have to leave there empty handed. Of course Hayden, Max, and I couldn't help from laughing. We laughed all the way to Hayden's school. Needless to say that was more beneficial to my mood then the Diet Coke. Natalie didn't think it was as funny. She was pretty mad that she had been duped, and then laughed at. And the poor thing, to this day her brothers still tease her about it from time to time. They say things like "Natalie, we are having your favorite dinner tonight, poop on a stick!"
And sadly it has entered my vocabulary, whenever I am upset about something it seems to come out, like when I stub my toe, or drop something, "POOP ON A STICK!" just naturally slips out. I still can remember looking back in the rear view mirror as she shrugged her little shoulders after saying she guessed she would have the poop on a stick. Funny funny precious little girl, she so often is just what the doctor ordered. Life without her would certainly be POOP on a STICK!

4 comments:

Cherish said...

That's beyond hilarious!

Mrs. A said...

That is seriously one of the FUNNIEST things I have ever heard!

Here And Happy! said...

Without doubt, that's the funniest thing I've heard in about forever!

Laurie said...

oh eve, that is sooo funny! reminds me of when my mother would tell us (if we wouldn't eat our dinner) that she was "calling Korea" cause thats where starving kids are and we would go there to starve if we didn't eat! and when she'd go to pick up the phone, we would all freak out and eat our dinner. i have told that story to my kids but they didn't seem to have the same fear so we used the crybaby farm. that got'm for a while . i love "poop on a stick!"