Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Simple Life (no not starring Paris Hilton, nor Nicole Richie)


I have never heard anyone say life is easy. But how many times have I heard someone say life is hard? Too many to count. But I have also heard people say it is the simple things that make life sweet. This morning, while looking for something to wear I came across my favorite shirt fresh out of the dryer. There is nothing special about this shirt, it is just a t-shirt, but it is an oh so comfy one. When I saw it I grabbed it and excitedly hugged it to my face,it smelled like dryer sheets. Call me crazy but I just love it when my favorite clothes are clean and easily findable, makes me happy. Made me aware of how the little things really can help soften life's hard edges.
A few (ok 11) simple pleasures that I daily take for granted
*A couple weeks ago Diet Coke would have ranked close to number one on my list. But I feel so much more happiness in the fact that I was able to give up my #1 vice. Simply, I am happier in knowing that there is nothing other then my family that I can't live without.(other then my favorite t-shirt, oh and toilet paper)
*Time alone while the kids are at school. At first I didn't know what to do with myself. Now I cherish the time I get to spend with me, myself, and I. I am a pretty fun gal.
*After a morning and afternoon to myself there is NOTHING I enjoy more then when evening comes and everyone is home safe and the house is a bustle of activity.
*Getting to church early enough to sit on the padded bench seats. This has only happened once, but my bum reminds me how wonderful it was every time we are sitting in the far back on the very cold hard chairs.(course I do like being able to conceal my naughty family from the rest of the congregation.)
*Listening to my Ipod in the car. I love how my kids call out requests from the backseat. I feel like a cool DJ spinning my wheels. I love that we all sing at the top of our lungs together even though we shouldn't, we do not have the voices of angels. I am sure the angels in heaven can hear US though, hopefully we are not opening the gates of hell.
*Hearing my little cuckoo bird come out to announce what hour it is. It is such a nice cozy sound, my cuckoo clock is my favorite thing I own. Perhaps it is because I can relate to being a little cuckoo. Or maybe it is because I mentioned once how much I wanted one, and Kevin remembered and got me one for my birthday years ago.
*Every time I sit down at the computer my cat, Gabby comes in,jumps up and lays down on my chest. Even though it makes it hard to see and to type, I enjoy her company.
*Playing games. I love games, especially ones I am better at then Kevin.
*Good conversations. I love it when you feel a connection with others just by being together, or talking on the phone. I live for time spent with family and friends.
*The bathroom. It is the one place in the house where I can go that people leave me alone, for the most part. Sometimes I go in there just to be alone I bring my phone,lock the door, shut the lid to the toilet, sit down and play a game, or get on Facebook, or sometimes read a book.
And last but not least...
*Relaxing with my hubby on the couch watching one of our favorite shows after a long hard day and the kids are in bed.
There are so many more simple things that make a big difference. Good food. Seeing a sunset. Reading a good book. A back scratch. A picture drawn by one of my children. Enjoying the outdoors.The list could go on and on. But out of all, I believe that laughter is truly one of life's greatest pleasures, it is as they say, 'The best medicine'. There is a funny side to every situation, now, if only I could always see it when life does get hard. "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain" Or as Natalie might say, if poop on a stick is all that if offered, just accept it, and then laugh about it.(even if accepting it makes you the one being laughed at.)
Enjoy the little things!
Love this picture Natalie drew for me about a year ago. I keep it up on the wall next to my vanity so that I can remind her that she was the one that said we were Bffe's=Best friends for eternity. I also like that I am quite small in this picture. It is my "thinspiration"

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your list ... it had me giggling! Great reminder to keep it simple. Thanks for adding my button by the way! ;)

Tami said...

Eve~ looks like you did some shopping at shabby blog, i love it! I just kept thinking of you everytime i checked it out! Looks great, now we just need to get you a button! :)))

Here And Happy! said...

That drawing is precious! Loved the list. I should swallow it.

Evie said...

Gae, you have been through more hard times then most of us. I can see how my post may have sounded insensitive to your circumstances. Just me not thinking. You don't have to accept any poop on a stick, you deserve so much better.:) I hope you have a great weekend, and that you are feeling well.

Here And Happy! said...

No need to worry about sensitivity on my part! I'm so fine with my life. I have much to be grateful for! I'm so used to my circumstances that I'm actually thinking I've got chili dogs at times! LOL. You're fine. I love your posts. And I was most sincere about your list--getting that up- attitude inside my head is just what I need right now. You're awesome. Our year together--now that was genuine "poop-on-a-stick" wasn't it? I'd love to do it over somehow. We could be better together than we were. Good thing Marvelously Mad Max is a resilient child who survived us both. Hugs<3

Evie said...

HaHa, well said my friend.:) By the way, Maxton loved his year in kindergarten. He was none the wiser that his mom was sick, nor the teacher he loved.:)