Monday, March 7, 2011

The Romance is Dead.



Cause of death? Multiple gas passing's, bum scratchings, petty arguments,MORNING breath that can, at times last into the night, and one too many donuts I suspect.

Sitting on a church bench wedged between my husband and two of my children who were fighting. I began dwelling on the passing of the romance me and my husband used to share. I was really pitying myself and grieving over the loss of my once great romance.
A few days later I was at the school once again sitting next to my husband as we waited for our 2nd grader's school program to begin. I was annoyed at my husband for some reason I can't even remember now,so we were barely speaking. My son's class shuffled in and sat down. When all the children began singing my husband held up the video camera and began filming, he zoomed in on our little boy's face, he was smiling and singing his heart out, I could see his cute dimples.I looked over at the man I had been feeling irritated at for days, he was also smiling and looked just like our second grader. I felt a pull in my chest and suddenly I felt so close to him. As I watched his face watching our little boy's face I felt so connected to him. We were both feeling pride in the life that we had, in love, created together. My heart began to pitter patter, and I had butterflies in my stomach. I had to get my wits about me quick or I would surely maul the poor guy with kisses and embarrass our pride and joy, and quite possibly get kicked out and asked never to return again. I didn't say anything to my husband that day. Just sat there through the rest of the program silently admiring him all the while my heart swelled.
Of course as soon as the rest of the afternoon played out, he did things that frustrated me, and the feelings I had been having were soon forgotten.
The weekend came and my bad attitude was ever present. Everything he did was annoying to me. Went to bed mad at him. Even went as far as to make a wall of pillows in between us so that there was NO WAY he could touch me or see me. The next morning I woke up and the first thought that popped into my head was how I felt about him at the school program. Oh, how I wished I had told him how I had felt that day. I looked over at the wall of pillows separating us. I began removing it one pillow at a time until there was nothing separating us. He was awake and staring over at me. I looked away, unsure how he was feeling. I closed my eyes and then ever so slowly reached my hand out until it found his. He gave it a good squeeze. We stayed like that for a moment, then I went to move my hand but he grabbed it and held it tight against his chest. I moved closer to him and he put his arms around me and he just held me. His ear was next to my lips, so I whispered "sorry. I love you." He whispered back "I love you." I am sure BOTH of us had bad morning breath, but never can I remember a more romantic moment. Yes, gas is passed, bums are scratched, occasionally you get a peep of someone a peepin'. But he and I together are learning what it truly means to love and forgive another person who is just HUMAN after all, honestly what is more romantic then that? Go ahead honey...let em' rip! Just kidding, but when it does happen hopefully this post can remind me that the only thing that kills the romance is a bad attitude & an unforgiving heart.

5 comments:

Here And Happy! said...

Like it or not, you're so right! Life happens, even to romance. But the guy that makes that life worth it every day is STILL IN THERE isn't he? Somewhere.Among the fumes?

Anonymous said...

Love it Eve! So, so true!

Cherish said...

Amen sista! But there's still nothing wrong with telling that stinky man to go hit up the bathroom instead of smelling up the living room!

Marrdy said...

You always find a way to put into words the way we feel about life and make us all smile. I find myself getting irritated with my hubby and then I think of all the things he does for me. This is a great post. I needed to read this today. Thank you!!

Unknown said...

Oh Eve, this all rings so true to my life. You expressed my thoughts and feelings so beautifully-love it. I am glad that I am not the only one who builds the Berlin Wall of Pillows in bed! Thanks for sharing what I feel so often.