Thursday, May 19, 2011

Lead Me, Guide Me


This story is somewhat spiritual. I don't usually post things like this, but after hearing this story you yourself will probably want to share it, no matter what your religion. I heard it 3rd hand so I may not have all the details perfect but I am sure it is close enough.
My dad works in the Draper Temple every Thursday. A few weeks ago while in the Temple he met an older couple who shared this story with him.
They wanted to serve a mission. So they turned in their papers and anxiously awaited the call. The woman had health issues of some kind and certain climates were not good for her. Weeks went by and soon they held the envelope in their hands. They opened it up, 'North Dakota.'
She couldn't believe this is where they were called, she felt that it had to be a mistake because for whatever reason North Dakota would be a bad place for her health. They turned down the call. They decided to serve an inner city mission. They did, and they enjoyed it. So they decided they wanted to try serving another mission. In went their papers. The call came back, and for a second time 'NORTH DAKOTA' was printed in bold letters. Frustrated the couple went to their Stake President. He understood their concerns but he told them to give it serious consideration and prayer. They did, and they felt that they should go despite their hesitations.
On their second day in North Dakota, after getting settled a bit, they decided to go out tracking. When they knocked on the second door, a familiar face opened the door. It was their son, who had cut off all ties from his family years ago, and had given no word to where he was or what he was doing. It had caused much heartache and sorrow to this couple, as they of course always wondered where he was, or even if he was alive. And here they all stood face to face, in of all places, North Dakota. The son had been trying to get the courage to contact them for a year or so, but felt ashamed and like he didn't know how to go about it. He had had a change of heart, but felt overwhelmed at how to ask forgiveness for all the pain he had caused his family. Because of his parents faithfulness they were reunited. They completed there two year mission in North Dakota with renewed faith, love, and trust in the Lord.
I keep imagining the surprise and awe each of them must have felt as they saw one another for the first time in years on that doorstep. Especially the mother, who knew she had been called there by a loving Father in Heaven, who had her best interests at heart and who had led her to her long lost son. Miracles do happen. He wants us each to experience joy, peace, and happiness, simply because we are all his children. He knows us, loves us, and misses us. He NEVER gives up on ANYONE. He too, cannot wait to be reunited with each one of us. It doesn't matter what we have done,what religion we are, even if we have cut off all communication from him, he longs for us to return to him. I know I am not perfect. I have countless flaws. But I, like you, am a daughter/son of God. We are brothers and sisters, and I find joy in knowing he truly has a plan for each one of us. No one is exempt.
Like the primary song "I Am a Child of God" says, I want him to lead me, guide me, and walk beside me, for I know he will never lead me astray.
Thanks mom for sharing this inspiring, miraculous, true story with me.
God truly does, Bless us all.

2 comments:

silverfinch said...

what a great story. thanks for sharing, eve.

Here And Happy! said...

Eye contact at school is really not enough Eve. I love this story. It inspires me to never give up, even when things seem impossible to me. Nothing is impossible for you-know-who.